Friday, January 13, 2012

Why I love and hate nursing...

I came across a video and it brings back the memories that I had when I was still actively practicing my profession.

If you've been reading my blog from the start, you'll find out that I have ambivalent feelings towards the profession that I chose. Sometimes I hate it, sometimes I don't. I don't want to cry over spilled milk but I just need to admit that most of the career-related decisions that I have in the past are 90% triggered by emotions. And it's a lesson learned for me.

Anyway, before this post gets further away from what this should be, allow me to enumerate the things that I hate and love about nursing.

I sometimes hate it because of...
1. the night shifts - I'm a morning person and I just really find night shifts to be utterly time dragging.
2. no holidays - When you're a nurse, you're expected to be on duty even during Christmas, new year, and declared national holidays. Unlike office jobs, we don't have fixed days off; thus, social life is at its brink of dying. 
3. shock absorber - You get the blame both from patients and doctors even if things aren't really your fault. That is why nursing is considered to be physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting job. 
4. too many responsibilities, too little authority - As a nurse, we take extra precaution in everything that we do - from medications down to taking the clients' vital signs. We have too many responsibilities, yet, we have too little authority. We can't just give our clients new medications or stop giving the present meds without notifying the doctor and having his approval. 

But hey, nursing isn't that bad at all. Here are the things that I like most in being a nurse:
1. witnessing the different stages of life - One of the perks of being a nurse is being a witness of all stages of life - from birth to death.
2. fulfillment - It may be exhausting but let me tell you this, it's one of the most fulfilling jobs I've ever known.  A simple 'thank you' from a patient is more than enough to compensate for the hours of service you rendered.
3. being a change agent - This is one of the reasons why I can't let go of this profession. When I still had this PDN job, I get the chance to provide my client and his family some health teachings regarding his condition. It's a great feeling to know that I've become an instrument of change on that person and that has paved the way towards the betterment of his condition.
4. human interaction - There was this instance when I told myself that I'd prefer to stay as nurse than become a doctor. It's not because I don't like to study or whatsoever. It's just that when you're a nurse, you get the chance to really talk with your patients and get to know them better and not just their condition.
5. the feeling that you've done something - At the end of the day, no matter how freakin' tired I am, I always feel good because I knew I did something good. It just saddens me that nursing nowadays has been viewed more as a ticket to wealth rather than a way of serving others. Yes, nursing is a lucrative career but more than that, it's a calling.

To inspire you more, here's a video about the real lives of nurses:



No comments:

Post a Comment