Tuesday, February 28, 2012

This or That?

Pardon me for my blogging hiatus. I was extremely busy with work. To make up for the working days that I'll be missing on the second week of March, I am now working from Monday-Sunday (yeah, the workaholic in me!).

Lately, I've been thinking of where I'm heading to and my future plans. Unlike before where I'm confronted with so many options which include becoming an accountant, graphic designer, pastry chef, and many more, my options are now narrowed down into two:

1. Travel nurse
2. Get into biomedical research

Neither of these options can promise me of a better life nor an easier route as both require hardwork and umaapaw na motivation.

Why travel nursing?
When I came to think of my mission in life, healthcare profession instantly came into my mind. The reason why I love nursing is because it's one of the most fulfilling professions. I wanted to get into travel nursing for 2 reasons: 1. I love traveling and 2. I want to make a difference in another person's life. Unfortunately, travel nursing is not a recognized nursing specialty in my country. Thus, in order to become a travel nurse, I have to sign-up for hospital training -> wait for 3 or more months to become a reliever -> wait for 6 more months to become a regular staff -> work my ass off in the hospital setting for 2-5 years -> apply for work abroad (either in US or AU) -> work for 2 more years in hospital setting -> apply for work as travel nurse. You get the picture, right?

Why biomedical research?
Right after graduating from high school, I've decided to get a course on chemical engineering for 2 reasons: 1. I love chemistry and 2. chemical engineering allows one to make a change. But I was too coward that time to argue with my mom so I end up in nursing school (though I learned to like it). Chemistry is just among the many fields needed for one to become a biomedical researcher. Experience is still the most important factor. 

Biomedical research is important in discovering new processes and solutions that will play an important role for man's survival. For me to get into this field, I need to get a degree in life science which includes pharmacy, medical technology, chemistry, biology, biotechnology, and the like -> apply for masters of Science program ->get sufficient experience. 

Because I'm on my own now, I have to juggle work and study if I want to get into this field.

Any thoughts on either of those fields? Feel free to share!

Photo Source


No comments:

Post a Comment